Autumn is here, and we’re excited about the wealth of produce the season brings. Whilst September heralded the beginning of this bounteous season, November embraces its maturity, showcasing the glorious transition from vibrant foliage to the tranquil preparation for winter. The palette of seasonal produce broadens, welcoming both traditional and novel culinary explorations. Think of not just apples and figs, but also late-autumn pumpkins, root vegetables, and hearty greens. Such richness in produce gives both gastronomes and wine connoisseurs a delightful playground. Our Head Chef, Nick Edgar, offers two recipes tailored to November's offerings that harmonize seamlessly with our Première Cuvée Rosé.
Aged on its lees for seven years, and composed primarily of saignée Pinot Meunier (87.5%), the cuvée has a rich bouquet of summer raspberries and autumnal blackberries. The blend’s high proportion of Pinot Meunier lends a heady note and flavour, slightly savoury and suggestive of miso- it is this unique character that drives the wine in its vinous direction. This recipe for a stellar vegetarian main provides the perfect partner.
Pickled Beetroot, Smoked Cumbrian Cheese, Horseradish and Apple Salad
- 9 pieces of pickled beetroot
- 50g beetroot and horseradish slaw
- 6 slices of granny smith apple
- 40g sliced smoked cheese
- 9x salted macadamia nuts
- 20g horseradish mayonnaise
- 10g horseradish dressing
- 40g salad leaves
- 20g beetroot crisps
- Place the pieces of pickled beetroot around the plate.
- Place the slaw over the beetroots.
- Slice the cumbrian smoked cheese and place on top of the beetroot, then place under a medium grill and lightly melt for 3 mins.
- Remove from the grill, add the macadamia nuts and the sliced apple.
- Place a few leaves over the top of the beetroot, followed by the dressing and then some beetroot crisps.
- 1 packet cooked beetroot, each cut into quarters.
- 200g water
- 100g white wine vinegar
- 20g sugar
- 10g salt
- Bring all ingredients except beetroot to the boil, add beetroot and allow to cool, leave for 3 days to pickle.
- 100g Hellmann's mayonaise
- 40g Colman's horseradish
- Whisk together
- 50g Colman's horseradish
- 10g white wine vinegar
- 5g salt
- 80g vegetable oil
- Whisk all ingredients together
- Place in a squeeze bottle ready for use
Beetroot and Horseradish Slaw
- 100g raw beetroot grated on the course part of a cheese grater
- 10g white wine vinegar
- 3g salt
- 30g horseradish mayonnaise
- Mix raw grated beetroot, salt and vinegar together and leave overnight
- Squeeze any excess liquid from beetroot
- Mix the dry beetroot and horseradish mayonnaise together
Salted Macadamia Nuts
- 100g macadamia nuts
- 5g egg white
- 10g sea salt
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Place on a tray with greaseproof paper and bake at 160˚C for 10 mins until golden brown, then allow to cool.
- Peel and thinly slice beetroot
- fry in fryer at 180oc for around 3 mins until crispy and golden brown, remove and allow to dry on kitchen paper.
- Lightly season with salt